If you got the ZTE Axon 7 and was disappointed with the locked bootloader, you should know that ZTE has now made it possible for the bootloader to be unlocked. For now its only available via an update to US versions of the phone only. And as usual an unlocked bootloader means root and custom recovery.
So here is a step by step tutorial of how to unlock the bootloader of your ZTE Axon 7 or Axon Pro.
4. Download ADB and Fastboot installer from HERE
Now for the fun part
1. Make sure that you setup ADB and Fastboot on your PC.
2. Plug in your phone and accept any prompt that comes up to trust the connection.
3. Open a command prompt on your computer and type in the following command to boot your phone into Fastboot mode
adb reboot bootloader
4. Type in this command to test the connectivity of your device
5. After which you type this command to unlok your device
fastboot oem unlock
6. Now use the volume up key and power key to select and confirm bootloader unlock prompt that shows up on your phone
7. You can check if your phone has been successfully unlocked by rebooting into fastboot or download mode and typing this command
fastboot oem unlock-info
Now you can install TWRP after which you can flash Supersu to root your phone. To flash TWRP recovery,
1. Reboot into fastboot mode
2. Download TWRP from Here, rename it to “recovery.img” and place it in a simple folder and keep the folder open
3. Open a command prompt and type in the command below to flash the recovery image to your phone
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
To reboot into recovery
turn off the phone, press power button + volume up key until you see the TWRP logo
Now you can root by flashing SuperSU from TWRP.