Huawei launched the a new flagship phone for their ‘Honor’ sub-brand The new phone – Honor V8 was launched at a launch event in China.
The Honor V8 is the first phone from Huawei to sports a 5.7-inch QHD display although you can also select a FullHD version for almost $100 less. Both variants use IPS panels fully clad in metal with a 2.5D glass on top.
The Honor V8 is powered by Kirin 950 chipset which is an octa-core CPU (4xCortex-A72 + 4xCortex-A53 clusters). RAM is set at 4GB for both versions but the QHD version comes with 64GB of storage, while the FullHD flavor gets half that.
The camera setup is quite similar to that of the Huawei P9 with dual 12Mp cameras at the back paired with dual-LED flash and laser focus. the only difference is the lack of Leica branding on it. The front camera is the same 8MP camera with f/2.4 as the P9
All models supporting LTE, Wi-Fi ac, Bluetooth 4.2 and GPS although the FullHD version doesn’t have NFC which is strange. The metal-clad smartphone measures 157×77.6×7.75mm and weighs 170g. Battery capacity is listed at 3,500mAh, and charging takes place via a USB Type-C interface.
Full specs of Huawei Honor V8
- Display : 5.7-inch (1920 x 1080 pixels) Full HD / (2560 × 1440 pixels) Quad HD 2.5D curved glass display
- CPU : Octa-Core Kirin 955 (4x 2.5GHz A72, A53 4 x 1.8 GHz) / Kirin 950 (2.3GHz 4 x A72 + 1.8GHz 4 x A53) processor with Mali T880-MP4 GPU
- Memory : 4GB RAM, 32GB / 64GB storage, expandable memory up to 128GB with microSD
- Platform : Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) with EMUI 4.1
- Rear Camera : 12MP dual rear cameras with dual-tone LED flash, Laser AF, f/2.2 aperture, 6P lens
- Front Camera : 8MP front-facing camera with f/2.4 aperture
- Sensors : Fingerprint sensor, Infrared sensor
- Dimensions : 157.00×77.60×7.75mm;Weight: 170g
- Connectivity : 4G LTE, Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac (2.4GHz and 5GHz), Bluetooth 4.2, GPS, NFC, USB Type-C
- Battery : 3500mAh (typical) / 3400mAh (minimum) battery with fast charging
Price has been set at CNY 2,299 (about $350) for a carrier-specific base model with a FullHD display, 32GB of storage and no NFC. Wider network support and NFC will set you back an additional CNY 200, while the top-specced version will go for CNY 2,799 ($439).