If for some reason you lost the license key to your windows copy and you don’t trust any third party company to recover it for you, you have no reason to fret. There is an easy way to do it via command prompt.
- First press Windows key + X
- Then Select Command Prompt (Admin) from the window that comes up.
- Then type exactly this into the command prompt window
wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKe
You can also copy the code and paste into the command prompt window
If you can’t find your key but the software is installed, you can use a program such as the Magical Jelly Bean Key Finder. This utility can quickly locate your Windows key (along with the keys for many other installed programs) and display it for you.
- Download Magical Jelly Bean and follow the installation process to install it on your computer.
- Launch the program. You can find it by opening the Start menu, typing keyfinder, and pressing Enter.
- The program will scan your installations and find the product keys of supported programs, including various versions of Windows and Microsoft Office.
- When the scan is complete, the tool will display a window with entries in the left pane for whatever installed versions of Windows and Office it detected.
- Click the entry for your version of Microsoft Windows to show the key and other information about the installation. The key will be listed under ‘CD Key’ on the right side of the window. Record this information for when you need to reference it in the future. Make sure to record the information exactly, as the key will not work otherwise. Do not confuse this with the ‘Product ID’ entry, which is unneeded.
- Click the entry for your version of Microsoft Office to show the key and other information about that installation. The same advice goes for Office: Your key will be listed under ‘CD Key’ on the right side of the window. Record this information exactly, as the key will not work otherwise